Be the change you seek!
Parents, kids and staff members can become Chesnut Changers by looking at how your choices affect your home, school, community and environment.
Here are some local and online resources that can help you:
Be Resourceful and Reuse (before buying new)!
- The Bargain Watcher (find seasonal clothing/toy sales, and nearby consignment stores): www.thebargainwatcher.com
- Story of Stuff (video explaining impact of American consumerism): www.youtube.com/storyofstuffproject#p/u/22/9GorqroigqM
Reduce Your Waste!
- Reusable Lunch Containers for Sandwiches, Salads, Snacks and Drinks: https://chesnutforchange.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/back-to-school-lunch-reusables-guide/
- Catalog Choice (take your name off junk mail, phonebook lists) www.catalogchoice.org
- Dekalb Country Curbside Recycling Program (free to sign up!): http://www.co.dekalb.ga.us/dekalb_recycles/index.html
- Keep North Fulton Beautiful Recycling Center (470 Morgan Falls Road, Sandy Springs, GA 30350): http://www.keepnorthfultonbeautiful.org/recycling.html
- Earth 911 (left sidebar asks for your zip code and what you want to recycle): http://www.earth911.com
- Recycle This (innovative ways to repurpose and recycle typically non-recyclable items) www.recyclethis.co.uk
- Terracycle (national recycling system for typically non-recyclable materials) www.terracycle.com
- Atlanta Street Food Coalition: www.atlantastreetfood.com
- Local Harvest (find nearby farmers markets, CSA box drop-offs): www.localharvest.org
- Pickyourown.org (find organic and local farms where you pick your own seasonal produce): http://www.pickyourown.org/GA.htm
- Local Eats under $10 – $15, Part 1 (part 2 in the making!): http://retracingmysteps.blogspot.com/2009/11/yummy-local-eats-under-10-15.html
Grow Your Own Food!
- FREE Aged Compost for DeKalb County Residents (mix with lime, bone meal and existing soil to create your garden bed). Bring your driver’s license or proof of residence, a shovel, and container to the North Transfer Station, 4600 Buford Highway, Chamblee, GA 30341, 770-936-5433. Open M-F, 7 am – 6 pm and Saturday, 7 am – 5 pm. For more info or to order compost by the truckload from Seminole Landfill, visit: www.co.dekalb.ga.us/publicwrks/sanitation/san_Mulch.html.
- University of Georgia Cooperative Extension (free gardening advice): http://extension.uga.edu
- Georgia Organics (local food guide, classes, sustainable farming film screenings): www.georgiaorganics.org
- Farmer D’s – organic gardening supply store, (Briarcliff Rd): www.farmerd.com
- Dunwoody Community Garden at Brook Run for inspiration (across from the dog park): http://dunwoodygarden.wordpress.com
- Chattahoochee Nature Center’s Unity Garden for inspiration: http://chattnaturecenter.org
- Wylde Center (previously Oakhurst Community Garden – organic gardening classes, starter plant sales): http://wyldecenter.org/
- Atlanta Local Food Initiative (annual sale of 40 native fruit trees, vines and berry bushes): www.atlantalocalfood.org/index.htm
Help us grow this list! Email suggestions for additional online or local resources to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!